NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
For Immediate Release: Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2014
Latest CJHL rankings keep Thunderbirds 1st, Gold Miners 13th
SUDBURY – The Soo Thunderbirds and Kirkland Lake Gold Miners of the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League remained status quo this week in the latest installment of the Canadian Junior Hockey League’s top 20 rankings, which were announced Tuesday.
Sitting in first place in the NOJHL standings, the Thunderbirds have been tabbed as the No. 1 club in the entire 128-team CJHL for a fourth straight week while the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners were once again slotted in the No. 13 position in the weekly rankings, which are formulated in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting.
Sault Ste. Marie holds down top spot in the NOJHL with 93 points on their 45-5-1-2 overall record.
Kirkland Lake meanwhile sits second in the league at 39-6-1-4, 10 points in arrears.
The Thunderbirds magic number to clinch the NOJHL’s regular season title and the No. 1 seed in the upcoming playoffs stands at three with any points gained by them or lost by the Gold Miners totalling three will give the Soo the crown.
There was also no change among the other four CJHL sides in the top five with Carleton Place (CCHL), Selkirk (MJHL), Spruce Grove (AJHL) and Fort Frances (SIJHL) staying second through fifth respectively.
The following is the latest CJHL top 20 rankings, along with the five honourable mention squads:
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (1)
2. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (2)
3. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (3)
4. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (4)
5. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (5)
6. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (6)
7. Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL) (9)
8. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (7)
9. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (8)
10. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (12)
11. Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL) (10)
12. Langley Rivermen (BCHL) (11)
13. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (13)
14. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (14)
15. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (15)
16. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (16)
17. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (HM)
18. Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL) (HM)
19. Saint-Jerome Panthers (LHJAAAQ) (19)
20. Truro Bearcats (MHL) (20)
Honourable Mention: Vernon Vipers (BCHL), Battlefords North Stars (SJHL), Portage Terriers (MJHL), Whitby Fury (OJHL), Miramichi Timberwolves (MHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Jr. A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 128 teams and over 2,500 players and has over 2,800 alumni furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For the latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com as well as follow them on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.