NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
For Immediate Release: Monday, Dec. 16, 2013
Latest CJHL rankings still lists Thunderbirds and Gold Miners
SUDBURY – The latest Canadian Junior Hockey League top 20 rankings announced Monday has both the Soo Thunderbirds and Kirkland Lake Gold Miners still sitting among the nation’s Jr. A elite.
As leaders of the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League standings the Thunderbirds remained fourth overall nationally while the Gold Miners were tabbed 14th in the CJHL in the ratings, which are compiled each week in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting.
Currently riding a 10-game winning streak Sault Ste. Marie tops the NOJHL in points with 58 and an overall record of 28-4-0-2.
Second place Kirkland Lake has 50 points, but also hold four games in hand on the T-Birds. They enter the week with a 24-4-0-2 mark having gone 13-2-0-1 in their past 16 outings.
In terms of winning percentage the Thunderbirds are at .853 compared to the Gold Miners .833.
There was no change this week among the top three teams in the CJHL rankings with Spruce Grove, (AJHL) Carleton Place, (CCHL) and Fort McMurray, (AJHL) holding down the top three spots respectively.
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) LAST WEEK)
1. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (1)
2. Carleton Place Canadiens (CCHL) (2)
3. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (3)
4. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (4)
5. Fort Frances Lakers (SIHL) (6)
6. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (9)
7. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (18)
8. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (10)
9. Humboldt Broncos (SJHL) (HM)
10. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (8)
11. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (14)
12. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (7)
13. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (15)
14. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOHL) (13)
15. Pembroke Lumber Kings (CCHL) (11)
16. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (5)
17. Weeks Crushers (MHL) (12)
18. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (16)
19. Truro Bearcats (MHL) (NR)
20. Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome (LHJAAAQ) (20)
Honourable Mention: Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL), Brooks Bandits (AJHL), Okotoks Oilers (AJHL), Melville Millionaires (SJHL), Minnesota Iron Rangers (SIJHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 128 teams and over 2,500 players and has over 2,800 alumni furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.