NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
For Immediate Release: Monday, Dec. 9, 2013
Sault Ste. Marie, Kirkland Lake make move in CJHL rankings
SUDBURY – The continued solid play of the Soo Thunderbirds and Kirkland Lake Gold Miners has both Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League clubs moving their way up the Canadian Junior Hockey League top 20 rankings.
In the latest installment of the listings announced Monday the NOJHL-leading Thunderbirds jumped to fourth overall nationally while the Gold Miners moved to 13th in the CJHL in the ratings that are compiled each week in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting.
Winners of nine in a row, Sault Ste. Marie currently leads the NOJHL in points with 56 as they sit in top spot with an overall record of 27-4-0-2.
Second place Kirkland Lake has 46 points, but also hold six games in hand on the T-Birds. They enter the week with a 22-3-0-2 mark having gone 11-1-0-1 in their previous 13 outings.
In terms on winning percentage the Miners also still boast a slightly better winning percentage over the Sault at .852 to .848.
A new team has taken over top spot in the CJHL this week as the Spruce Grove Saints of the Alberta Junior Hockey League garnered the No. 1 ranking.
Sliding into No. 2 nationally are the Carleton Place Canadians of the Central Canada Hockey League while the AJHL’s Fort McMurray Oil Barons, who saw a lengthy run as the top-ranked squad in the CJHL come to an end this week, dipped to No. 3.
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) LAST WEEK)
1. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (2)
2. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (3)
3. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (1)
4. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (5)
5. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (7)
6. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (4)
7. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (8)
8. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (9)
9. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (6)
10. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (13)
11. Pembroke Lumber Kings (CCHL) (11)
12. Weeks Crushers (MHL) (10)
13. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (14)
14. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (12)
15. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (15)
16. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (NR)
17. Vernon Vipers (BCHL) (NR)
18. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (HM)
19. Dieppe Commandos (MHL) (19)
20. Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome (LHJAAAQ) (NR)
Honourable Mention: Brooks Bandits (AJHL), Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL), Drumheller Dragons (AJHL), Okotoks Oilers (AJHL), Humboldt Broncos (SJHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 128 teams and over 2,500 players and has over 2,800 alumni furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.