NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
For Immediate Release: Monday, Jan. 13, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie moves to 3rd in CJHL rankings; Kirkland Lake stays 13th
SUDBURY – Winners of a franchise-record tying 17 games in a row has helped the Soo Thunderbirds move even higher in the latest Canadian Junior Hockey League top 20 rankings that were announced Monday.
As leaders of the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League the Thunderbirds jumped to third nationally while the second place Kirkland Lake Gold Miners remained in 13th spot overall in the weekly listings, which are compiled in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting.
Sault Ste. Marie remains atop the NOJHL standings with an impressive 35-4-0-2 record under first-year head coach Jordan Smith.
Meanwhile Marc Lafleur’s Kirkland Lake squad boasts a 28-6-0-3 overall mark trailing the T-Birds by 13 points, but also holding four games in hand on the league front-runners.
There was no change among the top two teams in the CJHL with the Alberta Junior Hockey League’s Spruce Grove Saints and Fort McMurray Oil Barons sitting first and second respectively.
Rounding out the top five are the Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) in fourth and the Selkirk Steelers (MJHL), winners of 13 in succession, in fifth.
The following are this week’s CJHL top 20 rankings along with the five honourable mention squads:
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (1)
2. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (2)
3. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (4)
4. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (3)
5. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (6)
6. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (7)
7. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (5)
8. Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL) (8)
9. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (11)
10. Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL) (HM)
11. Melville Millionaires (SJHL) (16)
12. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (12)
13. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOHL) (13)
14. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (15)
15. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (17)
16. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (NR)
17. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (9)
18. Weeks Crushers (MHL) (19)
19. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (14)
20. Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome (LHJAAAQ) (20)
Honourable Mention: Langley Rivermen (BCHL), Brooks Bandits (AJHL), Portage Terriers (MJHL), Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL), Truro Bearcats (MHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Jr. A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 128 teams and over 2,500 players and has over 2,800 alumni furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For the latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com as well as follow them on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.