NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
Release Date: Monday, Oct. 21, 2013
Thunderbirds 4th, Gold Miners honourable mention in latest CJHL rankings
SUDBURY – The weekly Canadian Junior Hockey League rankings released today sees the soaring Soo Thunderbirds making a big move into the top five while the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners also earned consideration.
Winners of 10 consecutive games and sitting in first place in the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League standings, the 15-2 Thunderbirds were tabbed fourth nationally in the CJHL top 20, which are compiled each week in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting.
The 11-2-0-1 Gold Miners meanwhile, who are in second spot in the NOJHL, garnered honourable mention in the weekly listings.
A trio of western clubs grabbed the top three places in the rankings with the AJHL Fort McMurray Oil Barons at No. 1 followed by the MJHL’s Steinbach Pistons and the SIJHL’s Kindersley Klippers in third.
There were a total of eight Dudley-Hewitt Cup-eligible teams that earned a ranking or honourable mention this week.
They include Sault Ste. Marie and Kirkland Lake along with the Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL), the DHC host Wellington Dukes (OJHL), Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL), Buffalo Jr. Sabres (OJHL), Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) and the Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL).
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK’S RANKING)
1. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (1)
2. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (4)
3. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (10)
4. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (8)
5. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (2)
6. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (HM)
7. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (6)
8. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (12)
9. Wellington Dukes (OJHL) (9)
10. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (HM)
11. Titan de Princeville (LHJAAAQ) (HM)
12. Carleton Place Canadiens (CCHL) (17)
13. West Kelowna Warriors (BCHL) (HM)
14. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (HM)
15. Thunder Bay North Stars (NOJHL) (3)
16. Les Cougars de Sherbrooke (LHJAAAQ) (6)
17. Buffalo Jr. Sabres (OJHL) (16)
18. Yarmouth Jr. A Mariners (MHL) (18)
19. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (19)
20. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (NR)
Honourable Mention: Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL), Langley Rivermen (BCHL), Vernon Vipers (BCHL), Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL), Cornwall Colts (CCHL).
ABOUT THE RANKINGS
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents more than 120 teams and 2,500 players and has over 2,800 former players furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.