CALGARY, Alta. – The Canadian Junior Hockey League (CJHL) announced Tuesday some of the key points from its recently completed Annual General Meeting, which was held virtually with each of its nine-member league commissioners and/or presidents.
The AGM finalized the appointment of Robert Mazzuca (NOJHL) as chairman of the board, along with Marty Savoy (OJHL) and Ryan Bartoshyk (AJHL) serving as vice-chairs as well as Bill Chow (SJHL) returning in his role as treasurer and Brent Ladds as CJHL president.
Other items of interest from the AGM included:
· The CJHL will partner with Simplicity Consultants, out of Nova Scotia, to develop a go-forward blueprint for the CJHL’s future.
· The CJHL Executive Board ratified its proposed Hockey Canada Agreement, which was developed in conjunction with Hockey Canada, and awaits their final approval, to ensure a true a partnership with the country’s national governing body and its members.
· Discussion and a proposed time table were presented on new initiatives developed by the CJHL’s Player Safety and Communications’ committees in order to improve and create consistency in both areas.
· The announcement was made of the dates for the 2022 Centennial Cup, presented by Tim Hortons, which will be hosted by Estevan Bruins (SJHL), May 20-29, 2022.
· It was also released that Cornwall, Ont., will host the 2021 World Junior A Challenge, December 12-18 of this year.
· The CJHL Board will focus on new initiatives being brought forward in June in response to recommendations from their newly created Player Education Committee as well as the CJHL Diversity & Inclusion Committee.