NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
Release Date: Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2013
NOJHL sports two teams in CJHL top 20
SUDBURY – The Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League continues to have a solid presence among the elite teams across the country.
The latest Canadian Junior Hockey League top 20 rankings released Tuesday sees both the Soo Thunderbirds and Kirkland Lake Gold Miners maintaining a place in the listings, which are compiled weekly in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting.
Sault Ste. Marie was tabbed sixth overall while Kirkland Lake comes in at 13th nationally.
The Thunderbirds currently sit in top spot in the NOJHL standings with 38 points on an 18-4-0-2 record along with a .792 winning percentage.
Meanwhile, with five games in hand, the second place Gold Miners do however boast the best winning percentage in the league at .868 as their 33 points in 19 games on a 16-2-0-1 record indicates.
There was no change among the top two clubs in the CJHL this week with the AJHL’s Fort McMurray Oil Barons still sitting at No. 1, the Steinbach Pistons of the MJHL at No. 2.
Rounding out the top five are the Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL), who are currently riding a 15-game winning streak, in third, the Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) fourth and the Powell River Kings (BCHL) in fifth.
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (1)
2. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (2)
3. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (4)
4. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (6)
5. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (5)
6. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (3)
7. Buffalo Jr. Sabres (OJHL) (9)
8. Carleton Place Canadiens (CCHL) (10)
9. Melville Millionaires (SJHL) (17)
10. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (16)
11. Weeks Crushers (MHL) (19)
12. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (HM)
13. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (14)
14. Wellington Dukes (OJHL) (12)
15. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (13)
16. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (15)
17. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (18)
18. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (HM)
19. Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners (MHL) (11)
20. Les Titans de Princeville (LHJAAAQ) (NR)
Honourable Mention: Merritt Centennials (BCHL), Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL), Estevan Bruins (SJHL), Les Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe (LHJAAAQ), Truro Bearcats (MHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 128 teams and over 2,500 players and has over 2,800 alumni furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.