NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
For Immediate Release: Monday, Feb. 3, 2014
Soo Thunderbirds top ranked team in CJHL; Kirkland Lake Gold Miners 15th
SUDBURY – The hottest squad in the 128-team Canadian Junior Hockey League is also now the No. 1 ranked club in the country.
Winning 22 games in a row has earned the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League’s Soo Thunderbirds top billing in the latest CJHL top 20 rankings announced Monday.
Coming away victorious in all three contests they played last week the T-Birds have also won 25 straight on home ice dating back to last season.
The NOJHL is also represented by the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners, who have won seven straight times, as they were tabbed 15th overall in the listings, which are compiled in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting.
Having not tasted defeat since all the way back on Nov. 10, Sault Ste. Marie sits atop the league standings with an impressive 40-4-0-2 record under first-year head coach Jordan Smith.
Guided by 2012-13 coach of the year Mar Lafleur, second place Kirkland Lake is also on a roll having already shattered the franchise record for wins in a season.
Entering play this week the Gold Miners have gone 34-6-0-3 as they trail the Thunderbirds by 11 points, but also hold three games in hand.
A pair of Alberta Junior Hockey League clubs round out the top three sides in the CJHL this week in the Spruce Grove Saints at No. 2 and the Fort McMurray Oil Barons at No. 3.
The following are this week’s CJHL top 20 rankings along with the five honourable mention squads:
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (2)
2. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (5)
3. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (1)
4. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (3)
5. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (4)
6. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (7)
7. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (18)
8. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (15)
9. Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL) (7)
10. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (12)
11. Langley Rivermen (BCHL) (10)
12. Dauphin Kings (MJHL) (HM)
13. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (NR)
14. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (HM)
15. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (14)
16. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (13)
17. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (16)
18. Saint-Jerome Panthers (LHJAAAQ) (17)
19. Weeks Crushers (MHL) (NR)
20. Miramichi Timberwolves (MHL) (NR)
Honourable Mention: Prince George Spruce Kings (BCHL), Drumheller Dragons (AJHL), Portage Terriers (MJHL), Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL), Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Jr. A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 128 teams and over 2,500 players and has over 2,800 alumni furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For the latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com as well as follow them on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.