NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
For Immediate Release: Monday, Jan. 27, 2014
Thunderbirds 2nd in CJHL rankings; Gold Miners 14th
SUDBURY – The Soo Thunderbirds, the hottest club in the 128-team Canadian Junior Hockey League, continue to soar up the national top 20 rankings while the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners also remain among the country’s elite Jr. A squads.
The latest CJHL tabulations, compiled in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting, has the surging Thunderbirds rated No. 2 overall in the CJHL while the Gold Miners were slotted in at No. 14 in the country.
Sault Ste. Marie has won a current CJHL high 19 games in a row and they also hold down top spot in the NOJHL standings with a 37-4-0-2 record.
Second place Kirkland Lake, who won both of their games played last week, actually dropped one notch in the listings.
Taking over the No. 1 slot in the CJHL rankings are the Fort McMurray Oil Barons of the Alberta Junior Hockey League.
Rounding out the top three are the Selkirk Steelers of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League, who are also on a roll having come away victorious in 18 straight outings.
The following are this week’s CJHL top 20 rankings along with the five honourable mention squads:
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (2)
2. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (3)
3. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (4)
4. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (5)
5. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (1)
6. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (7)
7. Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL) (9)
8. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (6)
9. Melville Millionaires (SJHL) (14)
10. Langley Rivermen (BCHL) (18)
11. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (NR)
12. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (16)
13. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (11)
14. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (13)
15. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (8)
16. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (12)
17. Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome (LHJAAAQ) (19
18. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (15)
19. Truro Bearcats (MHL) (17)
20. Dieppe Commandos (MHL) (NR)
Honourable Mention: West Kelowna Warriors (BCHL), Battlefords North Stars (SJHL), Dauphin Kings (MJHL), Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL), Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL)
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Jr. A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 128 teams and over 2,500 players and has over 2,800 alumni furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For the latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com as well as follow them on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.