NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
NOJHL NETWORK MEDIA UPDATE
Release Date: Monday, Dec. 12, 2016
Voodoos move to 3rd in CJHL rankings; Thunderbirds jump to 12th
SUDBURY – The two hottest clubs in the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League as well as in the entire 132-team Canadian Junior Hockey League continue to garner national attention.
Having reeled off 20 consecutive NOJHL victories, the red-hot Powassan Voodoos have moved to No. 3 overall in the latest CJHL rankings announced Monday while the surging Soo Thunderbirds, winners of eight in succession, jumped to No. 12 in the country.
Powassan, who looks to extend their impressive winning streak tonight as they host the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners in a 7:30 p.m. start at the Powassan Sportsplex, boast a NOJHL-best record of 27-3-1-0.
Their 55 points puts them eight ahead of the 23-7-1-0 Thunderbirds.
The Voodoos also boast the best winning percentage in the league at .887 while Sault Ste. Marie sports a .758 win mark.
There was no change among the top two sides in the CJHL this week as Collège Français de Longueuil (LHJAAAQ) stays at No. 1 while the Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) continue at No. 2.
Rounding out the top five are the Brooks Bandits (AJHL) at No. 4 and the 2017 Dudley-Hewitt Cup host Trenton Golden Hawks at No. 5.
The following is the latest CJHL Top 20 rankings:
CJHL TOP 20 (As of Dec. 12, 2016)
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Collège Français de Longueuil (LHJAAAQ) (1)
2. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (2)
3. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (5)
4. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (8)
5. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (3)
6. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (4)
7. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (6)
8. Wenatchee Wild (BCHL) (7)
9. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (10)
10. Whitby Fury (OJHL) (HM)
11. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (13)
12. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (HM)
13. Les Cobras de Terrebonne (LHJAAAQ) (9)
14. Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL) (14)
15. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (17)
16. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (HM)
17. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (HM)
18. Dryden GM Ice Dogs (SIJHL) (18)
19. Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL) (20)
20. Pictou County Weeks Crushers (MHL) (19)
Honourable Mention: Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL); Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL); Portage Terriers (MJHL); Cobourg Cougars (OJHL); Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners (MHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 132 teams and over 3,000 players and has just as many former players furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.